Calculation and Experimental Analysis of Forces and Stresses in Intramedullary Nail Models / F. Baumgart, HJ. Becker
- Conference Author:
- Intramedullary Rods: Clinical Performance and Related Laboratory Testing (1987 : Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (10 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Baumgart, F., Becker, HJ., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- One open cylindrical tube made from shape memory alloy of 55% nickel and 45% titanium (NiTi) was tested. The activated total radial force was measured between rigid plates, when the tube was heated by hot water. Three NiTi tubes of 10-mm length were inserted into biomechanical equivalent aluminum tubes and heated in order to measure the deformation of the model tubes. Photoelastic tests were performed on three NiTi tube specimens, 2.5 mm in length, which had been inserted into biomechanical equivalent Araldite disks of 10-mm thickness. All tests were evaluated by combining the results with calculations on slender circular rings and were transmitted to natural bone tubes. The results show activated stresses between 15 and 30 N/mm2 in real bone and therefore no dangerous stress states.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1008 (January 1989)
- 9780803150737 (e-ISBN), 9780803111813, and 0803111819
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28010431