Testosterone dreams : rejuvenation, aphrodisia, doping / John Hoberman
- Hoberman, John M. (John Milton), 1944-
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 381 pages ; 24 cm
- Testosterone dreams : pharmacology and our human future -- Hormone therapy and the new medical paradigm -- Enhancements :where are the limits? -- Testosterone as therapy and myth -- "Psychic steroids" : Prozac as a performance-enhancing drug -- Back to the future : the sex hormone market from organotherapy to "andro" -- The aphrodisiac that failed : why testosterone did not become a mass sex therapy -- What they did to women : the origins of sex therapy -- Sex before Kinsey : what doctors and patients did not know -- Hormones and the state : sex and marital stability -- Patriarchal sex therapy : curing "frigidity" with hormones -- Reorienting male desire : curing homosexuals with sex hormones -- Aphrodisia for the masses? -- The secret life of testosterone therapy -- The mainstreaming of testosterone -- Celebrating testosterone -- Hormone therapy and the discovery of sexual deficiency -- Preserving the feminine essence : estrogen and menopause -- Does the male menopause exist? -- "Outlaw" biomedical innovations : hormone therapy and beyond -- Hormone therapy and cosmetic procedures : the new medical ethos -- Offshore entrepreneurial medicine : from embryos to cloning -- Medical populism and outlaw medicine : fertility techniques and medical marijuana -- Hormone therapists and hormone evangelists -- Hormone therapy for athletes : doping as social transgression -- Doping before steroids : clean amateurs and doped professionals -- The entrepreneurial physician -- Medical ethics -- The doctor-athlete relationship -- The patient as athlete, the athlete as patient -- "Let them take drugs" : public responses to doping -- A war against drugs? : the politics of hormone doping in sport -- International doping control before reform -- Sportive nationalism and doping -- International doping control after reform -- A war on drugs? Athletes and the doping of everyday life -- Athletic doping and the human future -- Epilogue, testosterone as a way of life.
- 0520221516 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Ronald A. Smith Sports History Book Collection.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 287-358) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2801498