Grumman F6F Hellcats with crew aboard unidentified US aircraft carrier : Photograph 1943
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Description: Grumman F6F Hellcats with crew aboard unidentified US aircraft carrier. Caption: "File No: AM-PAC-46-43862-TR-4323. Sunday, December 19, 1943. Pacific Task Force. The knockout punch of U.S. Naval Aviation is being delivered with over-growing power and an ever-longer reach by aircraft carrier task forces. U.S. Navy task forces have been seeking out the enemy in the Central and Southern Pacific blasting his fortifications, capturing his outposts, and sinking his warships. A carrier task forces beats out a grim symphony, mixing heavy bombs from Avenger torpedo planes and Dauntless dive bombers with blasting shells of cruisers' big rifles and chattering guns of Hellcat fighters. Props spinning, Navy Hellcats take off from their big flat-top for another strike at Wake. The first wave was launched before dawn October 5. All that day and the next, Japs were hammered by carrier-based aircraft, land-based Navy Liberators and 6- and 8-inch shells hurled by cruisers standing offshore. Hellcat fighters and Avenger torpedo bombers pounded the island first, followed by Dauntless dive bombers with their 1,000-pounders. This carrier, one of several engaging in the attack, is steaming back and forth some distance off the island. Official US Navy Photograph.".
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: Grumman F6F Hellcats with crew aboard unidentified US aircraft carrier 1-Oct-43.
- Location of Originals:
- The National WWII Museum
- Copyright Note:
- Material sourced from The National WWII Museum
View MARC record | catkey: 28024963