The inclusion calculation : why men appropriate women's representation / Melody E. Valdini
- Valdini, Melody Ellis
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 188 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Introduction -- The calculation of women's inclusion -- Feminine stereotypes and the advantages of association -- The strategic use of women candidates in post-scandal environments -- The method of inclusion matters too: the strategy of gender quota adoption -- The strategic use of women's representation in hybrid regimes -- Conclusion, implications, and future research -- Appendices.
- "In The Inclusion Calculation, Melody E. Valdini examines women's representation in politics and offers insights into men's strategies for using women to advance their own political ambitions. While it is certainly valuable to encourage women to run for office, it is equally important to understand the motivations of male power-holders. To that end, this book examines how men strategically feminize their political parties or government to retain control, demonstrating that a woman's selection as a candidate often depends on a man's perception of her value"--
- 9780190936204 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 171-184) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28036104