I'd fight the world : a political history of old-time, hillbilly, and country music / Peter La Chapelle
- La Chapelle, Peter
- Additional Titles:
- I would fight the world
- Chicago : The University of Chicago Press, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 346 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Introduction: the ghost of Tom Watson -- Fire on the mountain: the initial surge of old-time and hillbilly music campaigns -- "Like Orpheus": the nineteenth century encounters the twentieth -- Antisemitism and Henry Ford's old-time music revival -- Sound trucks and radio stars: the arrival of the nonperformers -- Pensions and poll taxes: identifying a style of hillbilly music politics -- Utopian buckaroo: senator Glen Taylor and country music's left tradition -- Dixie-bent and White House-bound: regional culture, national aspirations -- A fiery but fickle faith: the Vanderbilt agrarians, Southern politics, and the country music memoir -- The nonperformers take over: Big Jim, the Little Judge, and the nationalization of country music politics -- Still not ready to make nice: the legacies of the country music campaign.
- 9780226922997 hardcover alkaline paper
0226922995 hardcover alkaline paper
9780226923000 paperback alkaline paper
0226923002 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28036129