La belle vielleuse : the virtuoso hurdy gurdy in 18th century France
- Corporate Author:
- Ensemble Danguy
- Paris : Ricercar Records, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file)
- Additional Creators:
- Miller, Tobie, Le Menu de Saint-Philbert, Christophe, approximately 1720-1774, Dupuits des Bricettes, Jean-Baptiste, Daquin, Louis-Claude, 1694-1772, Ravet, Mr., Corrette, Michel, 1707-1795, Bâton, Charles, -1758, and Rameau, Jean-Philippe, 1683-1764
- La vièle : cantatille avec simphonie / Christophe Le Menu de Saint-Philbert -- Pièces de caractère, Op. 5. La Dupuits / Jean-Baptiste Dupuits -- Pièces de clavecin, première livre. Musette en rondeau / Louis-Claude Daquin -- IIIe sonate, oeuvre 1 ; IIe duo de vielle et violon, oeuvre II / M[onsieur] Ravet -- L Furstemberg (La belle vielleuse, 1783) / Michel Corrette -- Le bouquet [cantate] / Dupuits -- Sonate IV [en do majeur], oeuvre III / Charles Bâton -- Pièces de clavecin. Musette en rondeau / Jean-Philippe Rameau -- Sonate VI [en sol mineur], oeuvre I / Dupuits.
- In the time of Madame de Pompadour, the hurdy-gurdy, like the musette, enjoyed a great success. It was considered to be on a level with other instruments and, as can be seen in various paintings, was highly regarded by the ladies of the aristocracy. Several books of instruction for the instrument were published, one of which was Michel Corrette's La belle vielleuse; virtuoso players such as Danguy and Dupuits extended its playing techniques to their limits. The instrument's charm was sung by various poets whose words were then set as cantatas. The unknown works that constitute this recording place it firmly in the French court of the time with its stylised pastoral diversions.
- Sound Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- audio file
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Ensemble Danguy: Monika Mauch, soprano ; Tobie Miller, baroque hurdy gurdy, direction ; Ellie Nimeroski, violin ; Caroline Ritchie, viola da gamba & cello ; Marc Meisel, harpsichord ; Esteban La Rotta, theorbo.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded Beuggen. Schloßkirche, June 2016.
View MARC record | catkey: 28038319