Surgery on contact 3-manifolds and stein surfaces / B. Ozbagci and A.I. Stipsicz
- Ozbagci, Burak
- Berlin ; London : Springer, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 281 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Stipsicz, András and Bolyai János Matematikai Társulat
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Bolyai society mathematical studies ; v. 13
- 1. Introduction -- 2. Topological surgeries -- 3. Symplectic 4-manifolds -- 4. Contact 3-manifolds -- 5. Convex surfaces in contact 3-manifolds -- 6. Spin[superscript c] structures on 3- and 4-manifolds -- 7. Symplectic surgery -- 8. Stein manifolds -- 9. Open books and contact structures -- 10. Lefschetz fibrations on 4-manifolds -- 11. Contact Dehn surgery -- 12. Fillings of contact 3-manifolds -- 13. App.: Seiberg-Witten invariants -- 14. App.: Heegaard Floer theory -- 15. App.: Mapping class groups.
- "Surgery is the most effective way of constructing manifolds. This is especially true in dimensions 3 and 4, where Kirby calculus provides a method for manipulating surgery diagrams. The groundbreaking results of Donaldson (on Lefschetz fibrations) and Giroux (on open book decompositions) now allow one to incorporate analytic structures into these diagrams: symplectic or Stein structures in the 4-dimensional case, contact structures in the 3-dimensional situation. This volume gives an introduction to the surgery techniques adapted to these additional structures. The necessary topological background on Lefschetz fibrations and open book decompositions is developed in the book. Also included are rapid introductions to the basics and applications of Seiberg-Witten and Heegaard Floer theories."--BOOK JACKET.
- 3540229442 (hbk.) and 963945303X (Janos Bolyai Mathematical Society : hd. bd.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2811816