Choro : a social history of a Brazilian popular music / Tamara Elena Livingston-Isenhour and Thomas George Caracas Garcia
- Livingston, Tamara Elena, 1963-
- Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 254 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm + 1 audio disc (4 3/4 in.).
- Additional Creators:
- Garcia, Thomas George Caracas
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Profiles in popular music
- Race, class, and nineteenth-century popular music : the modinha, the lundu, and the maxixe -- The roda de choro : heart and soul of choro -- From the plantation to the city : the rise and development of early choro in Rio de Janeiro (1870-1920) -- From the terno to the regional : the professionalization of choro -- The velha guarda in the new Brazil : choro in the 1950s and 1960s -- The choro revival -- Contemporary choro -- Choro and the Brazilian classical tradition.
- 0253345413 (cloth : alk. paper)
0253217520 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -237), discography (pages -243), and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2816289