Seeds of Restoration Success [electronic resource] : Wild Lands and Plant Diversity in the U.S. / by Sara F. Oldfield, Peggy Olwell, Nancy Shaw, Kayri Havens
- Oldfield, Sara F.
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- 1st ed. 2019.
- Physical Description:
- XIII, 137 pages 8 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Olwell, Peggy, Shaw, Nancy, Havens-Young, Kayri, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Springer Earth System Sciences, 2197-9596
- Chapter1: Introduction -- Chapter2: The importance of native plants and the pressures they face -- Chapter3: The importance of ecosystems -- Chapter4: Conservation of plant species -- Chapter5: Land ownership, land management and land use -- Chapter6: Restoring the future -- Chapter7: Looking ahead.
- This book provides a general overview of the natural landscapes and vegetation types of the U.S., the key plant species that help define them, the pressures faced by natural ecosystems and the imperative for conservation and restoration. It addresses the policies that have been introduced to manage healthy ecosystems and the practical progress that is being made in restoration. A particular focus is on the production of diverse native plant materials currently required by the National Seed Strategy. Case studies demonstrate how native plant materials are essential to support the conservation of healthy ecosystems with their biodiversity and functions as well as supporting a productive and sustainable agricultural sector and healthy ecosystems for all. The authors are closely connected with major national and international networks of botanic gardens, ecologists and conservation scientists at Board level and through other professional links. Condensing a wide range of current information into a concise format, this book fills a need by experts and informed amateurs interested in the natural environment, including gardeners, botanic garden and protected area visitors, government agencies, the private sector native seed industry, and NGOs.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 28317475