New and Emerging Issues in Latinx Health [electronic resource] / edited by Airín D. Martínez, Scott D. Rhodes
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2020.
- 1st ed. 2020.
- Physical Description:
- XXIII, 365 pages 5 illustrations, 3 illustrations in color : online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Martínez, Airín D., Rhodes, Scott D., and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Disentangling Language and the Social Determinants of Latinx Health in the United States -- Part I: The Health Status of Latinx Persons in the United States -- Chapter 2: Chronic Disease in the Latinx Population: Threats, Challenges and Opportunities -- Chapter 3: Mental Health Issues in Latinx Populations: Evaluating the State of the Field -- Chapter 4: Latinx Child Health: Challenges and Opportunities to Build a Healthy Future -- Chapter 5: Substance Use among Latinx Adolescents in the United States: Scope, Theory, Interventions, and Next Steps -- Chapter 6: Disability among the Latinx Population: Epidemiology and Empowerment Interventions -- Chapter 7: Aging and Health in the Latinx Population in the United States: Changing Demographics, Social Vulnerabilities, and the Aim of Quality of Life -- Chapter 8: Health Threats That Can Affect Hispanic/Latino Migrants and Immigrants -- Chapter 9: The Status of Latinx Occupational Health -- Chapter 10: The Health and Well-being of Latinx Sexual and Gender Minorities in the United States: A Call to Action -- Part II: Communities, Systems, and Structures -- Chapter 11: Health Insurance Reform and the Latinx Population -- Chapter 12: Immigration Enforcement Policies and Latinx Health: State of Knowledge -- Chapter 13: Three Ecologies of the Urban Environment and The Health of Latinx Communities -- Chapter 14: Racial and Ethnic Discrimination, Intersectionality, and Latinx Health -- Chapter 15: Divergent Dilemma: The Reconceptualization and Critical Use of Acculturation in Latinx Health Research -- Chapter 16: Health is Political: Advocacy and Mobilization for Latinx Health.
- This timely volume serves as a comprehensive and much-needed update to the literature on Latinx health. As both the United States and Latinx subgroups experience and anticipate demographic shifts, it is critical to examine the current epidemiology of Latinx health, as well as the factors influencing this population's health and well-being. Chapters in this book, written by highly respected experts, illuminate the diversity of the Latinx population and provide strategies to mitigate many of the challenges faced by them, including challenges related to migrating to new destinations. The book is designed to enrich dialogue around the multilevel determinants of Latinx health, and concludes with a call to action for both increased culturally congruent and sound Latinx-focused research and the mentorship of Latinx early-career investigators. A selection of the perspectives included among the chapters: Chronic disease and mental health issues in Latinx populations Substance use among Latinx adolescents in the United States Health insurance reform and the Latinx population Immigration enforcement policies and Latinx health Research priorities for Latinx sexual and gender minorities Racial and ethnic discrimination, intersectionality, disability, and Latinx health New and Emerging Issues in Latinx Health is an invaluable compendium that provides a foundation of understanding Latinx health and well-being and guides future research and practice. The book is essential for researchers, practitioners, and students in the fields of public health, health education, population and community health, preventive medicine, health administration and policy, and community and health psychology, and is also relevant for federal, state, and local agencies including health departments and other Latinx- and immigrant-serving community-based organizations.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Part Of:
- Springer eBooks
View MARC record | catkey: 28317669