Boy : a sketch / by Marie Corelli, author of "The sorrows of Satan," "Barabbas," etc
- Corelli, Marie, 1855-1924
- Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott Company, 1900.
- [First U.S. edition].
- Physical Description:
- 348 pages : illustration (frontispiece) ; 20 cm
- Additional Creators:
- J.B. Lippincott Company
Full Text available online
- "A novel which starts with the careless and neglectfull upbringing of a young 'Boy' by his parents, the drunken Captain D'Arcy Muir and his lazy and unintelligent wife. Fortuantely, the 'Boy' is doted on and gets some attention from the kindly Miss Leslie and her companion, The Major. The Muirs first send 'Boy' to school in Brittany, and then to an English Military School where he grows into a slim and awkward youth, indifferent and blase. 'Boy' passes into Sandhurst but is expelled for drunkenness. He then falls into bad company and runs up debts, and even defrauds Miss Leslie by altering a cheque she has sent him. Repentant and ashamed, he enlists in the Army, is sent to the Boer War, and is killed in action saving the life of a boyhood friend"----Synopsis from MarieCorelli.org.uk.
- "Copyright, 1900, by J.B Lippincott Company. Electrotyped and printed by J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, U.S.A."--Verso of title-page.
Originally published in Great Britain: London : Hutchinson & Co., 1900.
"Publisher's Note" printed on green paper slip tipped in following frontispiece.
Publisher's advertisements (4 unnumbered pages) at end.
Rare Books copy: in publisher's original pictorial red cloth; no dust jacket; "Publisher's Note" on green paper slip tipped in; former owner's inscription in black ink on recto of front blank leaf: "For my Sweetheart."
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased from David Mason books; 2016.
- Related Materials:
- Marie Corelli collection, 1844-1934 (9916); Located at: Special Collections Library, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
View MARC record | catkey: 28318965