Refugees in America : stories of courage, resilience, and hope in their own words / Lee T. Bycel ; photos by Dona Kopol Bonick ; foreword by Ishmael Beah
- Bycel, Lee T.
- New Brunswick, New Jersey : Rutgers University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 201 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm
- Hope is the oxygen of my life / Meron Semedar, Eritrea -- Children who returned from a walk through hell / Noemi Perez-Lemus, Guatemala -- The imaginary girl / Asinja Badeel, Iraq and the Yazidis -- He threw garbage on me / Deng Ajak Jongkuch, South Sudan -- The apple lady / Sidonia Lax, Poland -- The walls have ears / Malk Alamarsh, Syria -- A river of memories / Vanny Loun, Cambodia -- Blind but the heart can see / Darwin Velasquez, El Salvador -- The life before and the life after / Kien Ha Quach Thien, Vietnam -- They bombed my church on Christmas Day 1998 / Wilita Sanguma, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) -- Empty walls / Jawad Khawari, Afghanistan -- Acknowledgments -- Index.
- In this book, eleven men and women share their extraordinary stories of fleeing life-threatening hardship in their home countries in search of a better life in the United States. Giving a voice to refugees from such far-flung locations as Eritrea, Guatemala, Poland, Syria, and Vietnam, it weaves together a rich tapestry of human resilience, suffering, and determination.<br /><br />
- 9781978806214 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28318997