The Oxford handbook of American literary realism / edited by Keith Newlin
- Additional Titles:
- Handbook of American literary realism
- American literary realism
New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 718 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Newlin, Keith
- Transnational precursors of American realism / Renate von Bardeleben -- American realism and gender / Donna M. Campbell -- The feminine origins of American literary realism / Sophia Forster -- Realism and the uses of humor / John Bird -- Local color, world-system; or, American realism at the periphery / Mark Storey -- Aesthetic slippage in realism and naturalism / Anita Duneer -- Realism as modernism / Brad Evans -- Native American realism / Lee Schweninger -- African American realism / Christine Wooley -- Ghetto realism, and beyond / Lori Harrison-Kahan -- Asian American realism / Julia H. Lee -- The politics of U.S. Latino literature and American realism / Ramón J. Guerra -- Ethnic caricature and the comic sensibility / Jean Lee Cole -- Racial realism / Jolie A. Sheffer -- The realism wars in the New York periodical press / Mark Noonan -- Realism and the profession of authorship / Graham Thompson -- Realism's American readers, 1860-1914 / Charles Johanningsmeier -- The censorship of realist and naturalist novels, then and now / Caren Town -- Science and aesthetics in American realism / Andrew Hebard -- Realist temporalities and the distant past / Melanie Dawson -- Spaces of consumption in American literary realism / Gary Totten -- Dwelling in American realism / Elif Armbruster -- Realism and medicine / Phillip Barrish -- Realism and the new woman / Leslie Petty -- Realism and the middle-class balancing act / Patrick Chura -- Realism and poetry / Jonathan Barron -- The evolution of American dramatic realism / Eileen Herrmann -- Visual art, intertextuality, and authorship in the golden age of illustration / Adam Sonstegard -- American realism and photography / Astrid Böger -- Realist literature, painting, and immediacy / Peter Betjemann -- Realism and the cinematic gaze / Nicolas S. Witschi -- Teaching literary realism in transnational America / Nathaniel Cadle -- Teaching American realism in Germany / Klaus H. Schmidt -- Teaching and researching American literature and American realism in China / Yuping Wang -- Realism 2.0 / Augusta Rohrbach.
- "The Oxford Handbook of American Literary Realism offers 35 original essays of fresh interpretations of the artistic and political challenges of representing life accurately. Organized by topic and theme, essays draw upon recent scholarship in literary and cultural studies to offer an authoritative and in-depth reassessment of major and minor figures and the contexts that shaped their work. One set of essays explores realism's genesis and its connection to previous and subsequent movements. Others examine the inclusiveness of representation, the circulation of texts, and the aesthetic representation of science, time, space, and the subjects of medicine, the New Woman, and the middle class. Still others trace the connection to other arts--poetry, drama, illustration, photography, painting, and film--and to pedagogic issues in the teaching of realism"--
- 9780190642891 hardcover alkaline paper
0190642890 hardcover alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28325258