NATO's Northeastern Flank [electronic resource] : Emerging Opportunities for Engagement / Christopher S. Chivvis, Raphael S. Cohen, Bryan Frederick, Daniel S. Hamilton, F. Stephen Larrabee, Bonny Lin
- Chivvis, Christopher S.
- Additional Titles:
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization's northeastern flank
Emerging opportunities for engagement
- Santa Monica, Calif. : RAND Corporation, 
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 333 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 28 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cohen, Raphael S.
Frederick, Bryan A.
Hamilton, Daniel S. (Daniel Sheldon), 1955-
Larrabee, F. Stephen
Project Air Force (U.S.)
- Research report ; RR-1467-AF
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- Part I. The Visegrad Four. Czech Republic : in Havel's shadow -- Hungary : balancing East and West -- Poland : a growing regional role -- Slovakia : moving West while hedging East -- Part II. The Baltic States. Estonia : committed partner with limited capabilities -- Latvia : acute vulnerability and limited capacity -- Lithuania : closing the gap between rhetoric and capabilities -- Part III. The Nordic partners. Finland : moving from self-reliance to solidarity -- Sweden : ever closer to NATO -- Conclusions.
- "This report examines the impact of renewed tension between NATO and Russia on a group of key allies and partners in central and northeastern Europe. It identifies how changes in the interests, security strategies, and defense capabilities of these countries may affect U.S. defense partnering in the region, with a specific focus on opportunities and implications for the U.S. Air Force. While both politics and resources will constrain partnership opportunities and the ability of these countries to contribute to U.S. regional defense objectives, opportunities for strengthening partnerships do exist in multiple areas"--Publisher's web site.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization—Armed Forces—Europe, Northern
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization—Armed Forces—Europe, Eastern
- United States—Military relations—Europe, Northern
- Europe, Northern—Military relations—United States
- United States—Military relations—Europe, Eastern
- Europe, Eastern—Military relations—United States
- "Prepared for the United States Air Force"--Title page.
"The research reported here was commissioned by the Deputy Under Secretary of the Air Force for International Affairs and conducted within the Strategy and Doctrine Program of RAND Project AIR FORCE."--Publisher's website.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 271-333).
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 28335574