On courage [electronic resource] / Geoffrey Scarre
- Scarre, Geoffrey
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- vii, 176 p. ; 21 cm.
- Thinking in action
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Locating courage -- A virtue for all seasons -- Courage as a virtue -- Courage and reason -- Rival paradigms of courage: Siegfried and John Wayne -- Physical and moral courage -- The reality of courage -- Courage, true and false -- How to be courageous without knowing it -- Courage and the explanation of action -- Courage: will and spirit -- Archbishop Cranmer -- Cardinal virtue or macho vice? -- Mars is for men, venus is for women -- Courage and patience -- Why take risks? -- Cardinal and special courage -- Fortitude -- Courage and fortitude -- Fortitude and the self -- Patience revisited -- Should we be stoical? -- General Grant -- Courage and goodness -- Can we courageously do wrong? -- Bad courage: for and against -- The intrinsic worthiness of courage -- Bauhn and Foot on bad courage -- Against the unity of the virtues -- Mercutio -- Courage: an outdated virtue? -- Courage as a goal and the goals of courage -- Modern courage -- Whistle-blowing -- Courage and the loss of meaning -- Doubt, certainty, and tolerance -- Envoi.
- 9780415471060 (hardback : alk. paper)
9780415471138 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 167-173) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28336163