The Promise and limits of private power [electronic resource] : promoting labor standards in a global economy / Richard M. Locke
- Locke, Richard M., 1959-
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 208 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge studies in comparative politics
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "This book examines and evaluates various private initiatives to enforce fair labor standards within global supply chains. Using unique data (internal audit reports, and access to more than 120 supply chain factories and 700 interviews in 14 countries) from several major global brands, including NIKE, HP, and the International Labor Organization's Factory Improvement Programme in Vietnam, this book examines both the promise and the limitations of different approaches to actually improve working conditions, wages, and working hours for the millions of workers employed in today's global supply chains. Through a careful, empirically grounded analysis of these programs, this book illustrates the mix of private and public regulation needed to address these complex issues in a global economy"--
- 9781107031555 (hardback) and 9781107670884 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 183-203) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28337299