The great dictator [videorecording] / written and directed by Charlie Chaplin ; United Artists
- [Place of publication not identified] : MK2 Éditions ; Burbank, CA : Warner Home Video, 
- Standard version.
- Physical Description:
- 2 videodiscs (120 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Chaplin, Charlie, 1889-1977, Goddard, Paulette, 1911-1990, Oakie, Jack, 1903-1978, Gardiner, Reginald, 1903-1980, Gilbert, Billy, 1893-1971, Moscovich, Maurice, 1871-1940, Struss, Karl, 1886-1981, Totheroh, Roland H., 1890-1967, Nico, William, Willson, Meredith, 1902-1984, Brownlow, Kevin, Kloft, Michael, 1961-, United Artists Corporation, MK2 Productions, and Warner Home Video (Firm)
- Language Note:
- English or French soundtrack, English intertitles, and optional subtitles in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Thai, and Korean; closed-captioned.
- Chaplin plays the double role of the persecuted Jewish barber and Adenoid Hynkel, dictator of Tomania. The barber is imprisoned, escapes, and is finally mistaken for the dictator at which point he makes an impassioned, humanistic speech which amazes the dictator's followers.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1940.
Special features: documentary by Kevin Brownlow and Michael Kloft; recently discovered color footage shot on the set of the film; scenes from Sunnyside, Monsieur Verdoux and other films in the series.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Photography, Karl Struss, Roland Totheroh ; editor, William Nico ; music, Meredith Willson.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Jack Oakie, Reginald Gardiner, Billy Gilbert, Maurice Moscovich.
- Technical Details:
- DVD, region 1; Dolby Digital mono.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Arts & Humanities copy: Purchased with funds from the Ash Family Libraries Endowment in Jewish Studies; 20067.
View MARC record | catkey: 2833960