Traditions, traps and trends [electronic resource] : transfer of knowledge in Arctic regions / Jarich Oosten and Barbara Helen Miller, editors
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada : Polynya Press, an imprint of The University of Alberta Press, 
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xxix, 318 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Oosten, J. G., 1945-, Miller, Barbara Helen, 1949-, and Laugrand, Frédéric
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The transformation and transfer of Inuit knowledge : notes on isumaqsajuq, ilisaijuq, and qaujimajatuqangit / Willem C.E. Rasing -- Language and literacy exchange between the Moravians and the Inuit : a transfer of knowledge in the 18th century / Thea Olsthoorn -- Traditions, traps and tricks : social aspects of the transfer of Inuit qaujimajatuqangit / Frederic Laugrand and Jarich Oosten -- Finding new places for transferring Inuit knowledge in Nunavut / Kim Van Dam -- Living objects : the transfer of knowledge through East Greenlandic material culture / Cunera Buijs -- Transfer of healing knowledge : a case study of the coastal Sami / Barbara Helen Miller -- Two traditional Sami love songs and the transfer of knowledge / Nellejet Zorgdrager -- Sami storytelling and the transfer of knowledge : the Kautokeino rebellion and its aftermath / Nellejet Zorgdrager.
- "The transfer of knowledge is a key issue in the North as Indigenous people meet the ongoing need for adaptation in their habitat. In eight essays, experts survey critical issues surrounding the knowledge practices of the Inuit of northern Canada and Greenland and the Northern Sámi of Scandinavia. Reflecting the ongoing work of the Research Group Circumpolar Cultures, these multidisciplinary essays offer fresh insights through history and across geography as scholars analyze cultural, ecological, and political aspects of peoples in transition. Traditions, Traps and Trends is an important book for students and scholars in anthropology and ethnography and for everyone interested in the Circumpolar North. Contributors: Cunera Buijs, Frédéric Laugrand, Barbara Helen Miller, Thea Olsthoorn, Jarich Oosten, Willem Rasing, Kim van Dam, Nellejet Zorgdrager."--Résumé de l'éditeur.
- 9781772123722 (softcover)
- Comprend un index.
- Bibliography Note:
- Bibliographies à la fin des chapitres.
View MARC record | catkey: 28339946