Understanding fiber optics / Jeff Hecht
- Hecht, Jeff
- Upper Saddle River, N.J. : Pearson/Prentice Hall, 
- Copyright Date:
- 5th ed.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 790 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- An introduction to fiber optics -- Fundamentals of fiber optic components -- Fundamentals of communications -- Types of optical fibers -- Properties of optical fibers -- Fiber materials, structure, and manufacture -- Specialty fibers -- Cabling -- Light sources -- Transmitters -- Receivers -- Amplification, regeneration, and wavelength conversion -- Connectors and splices -- Couplers and other passive components -- Wavelength division multiplexing optics -- Optical switches, modulators, and other active components -- Fiber optic measurements -- Troubleshooting and test equipment -- System and optical networking concepts -- Fiber system standards -- Single channel system design -- Optical networking system design -- Global telecommunications applications -- Regional and metro telecommunications -- Local telephone or "access" networks -- Internet access and local area networks -- Video transmission -- Mobile fiber optic communications -- Fiber optic sensors -- Imaging and illuminating fiber optics -- Appendix A : Important constants, units, conversion factors, and equations -- Appendix B : Decibels and equivalents -- Appendix C : Standard time division multiplexing rates -- Appendix D : ITU frequencies and wavelengths for L- and C-bands, 100 GHz spacing, 100 channels -- Appendix E : Laser and fiber safety -- Appendix F : Fiber optic resources -- Glossary.
- This book is thorough, up to date, and provides comprehensive and intuitive introduction to fiber optics. With mathematics limited to basic algebra, the book takes a practical approach to understanding fiber optics. It thoroughly describes important concepts for the novice, building up an understanding of optical fibers, their properties, light sources and detectors, and fiber-optic components and their application in fiber-optic systems. It covers the basics of fiber-optic measurement and troubleshooting. Ideal for technicians, entry-level engineers, and other nonspecialists. - Publisher.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 757-760) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Margaret MacDonald Roeder Memorial Libraries Endowment for Engineering; 2014
- Endowment Note:
- Margaret MacDonald Roeder Memorial Libraries Endowment for Engineering
View MARC record | catkey: 2845192