Smithsonian American women : remarkable objects and stories of strength, ingenuity, and vision from the National Collection / foreword by Jill Lepore ; introduction by Michelle Delaney ; edited by Victoria Pope and Christine Schrum ; Smithsonian Editorial Committee: Nancy Bercaw, Michelle Delaney, Lisa Kathleen Graddy, Matthew Shindell, and Margaret Weitekamp
- Additional Titles:
- American women : remarkable objects and stories of strength, ingenuity, and vision from the National Collection
- Washington, DC : Smithsonian Books, 
- Physical Description:
- 248 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Lepore, Jill, 1966-, Delaney, Michelle Anne, Pope, Victoria, Schrum, Christine, Bercaw, Nancy, Graddy, Lisa Kathleen, Shindell, Matthew, Weitekamp, Margaret A., 1971-, and Smithsonian Institution
- 1600-1864. Tradition and resistance in a young nation -- 1865-1920. The road to reform -- 1921-1948. The rise of the modern woman -- 1949-1967. Boycotts, sit-ins, and civil unrest -- 1968-2019. Breakthroughs and backlash.
- "A unique, panoramic look at women's history in the United States through the lens of ordinary objects from, by, and for extraordinary women. Featuring more than 280 artifacts from 16 Smithsonian museums and archives, and more than 135 essays from 95 Smithsonian authors, this book tells women's history as only the Smithsonian can."--
- 9781588346650 hardcover
- Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28618162