The arithmetic of listening : tuning theory and history for the impractical musician / Kyle Gann
- Gann, Kyle
- Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- x, 294 pages : illustrations, music, charts ; 26 cm
- The cosmic joke -- The harmonic series -- Generating scales -- The Pythagorean scale -- The five limit, the second dimension -- Meantone temperament and the primacy of thirds -- Well temperament and key color -- Twelve-step equal temperament -- The seven limit and Johnston notation -- The eleven limit and the fourth dimension -- The thirteen limit and beyond -- Non-twelve-divisible equal temperaments -- Twelve-based equal temperaments -- A few numbers drawn from non-Western musics -- Brief miscellaneous thoughts.
- "Tuning is the secret lens through which the history of music falls into focus, says Kyle Gann. Yet in Western circles, no other musical issue is so ignored, so taken for granted, so shoved into the corners of musical discourse. A classroom essential and an invaluable reference, The Arithmetic of Listening offers beginners the grounding in music theory necessary to find their own way into microtonality and the places it may take them. Moving from ancient Greece to the present, Kyle Gann delves into the infinite tunings available to any musician who feels straitjacketed by obedience to standardized Western European tuning. He introduces the concept of the harmonic series and demonstrates its relationship to equal-tempered and well-tempered tuning. He also explores recent experimental tuning models that exploit smaller intervals between pitches to create new sounds and harmonies. Systematic and accessible, The Arithmetic of Music provides a much-needed primer for the wide range of tuning systems that have informed Western music."--
- 9780252042584 (hardcover : alk. paper), 0252042581 (hardcover : alk. paper), 9780252084416 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0252084411 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 283-289) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28620224