The evolving challenges of Black college students [electronic resource] : new insights for policy, practice, and research / edited by Terrell L. Strayhorn and Melvin C. Terrell ; foreword by Lemuel W. Watson
- Sterling, Va. : Stylus, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 226 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Strayhorn, Terrell L. and Terrell, Melvin C.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction: The state of empirical research on African American collegians / Terrell L. Strayhorn -- Knowing God, knowing self: African American college students and spirituality / Dafina Lazarus Stewart -- Choosing college as a life or death decision: first-generation African American women's reflections on college choice / Rachele Winkle-Wagner -- Buoyant believers: resilience, self-efficacy, and academic success of low-income African American collegians / Terrell L. Strayhorn -- Focusing on achievement: African American student persistence in the academy / Fred Bonner II -- Triple threat: challenges and supports of black gay men at predominantly white campuses / Terrell L. Strayhorn, Amanda M. Blakewood, and James M. DeVita -- Challenges and supports of student-to-student interactions: insights on African American collegians / Belinda B. McFeeters -- "A home away from home": black cultural centers as supportive environments for African American collegians at white institutions / Terrell L. Strayhorn ... [et al.] -- The uniqueness of an HBCU environment: how a supportive campus climate promotes student success / Robert T. Palmer and Estelle Young -- College-bound sons: exploring parental influences on the pre-entry attributes of black males / Darryl B. Holloman and Terrell L. Strayhorn -- Mentoring and African American undergraduates' perceptions of academic success / Tonya N. Saddler -- New directions for future research on African American collegians / Terrell L. Strayhorn.
- 9781579222451 (cloth : alk. paper), 1579222455 (cloth : alk. paper), 9781579222468 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 1579222463 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28881771