Conducting personal network research : a practical guide / Christopher McCarty, Miranda J. Lubbers, Raffaele Vacca, and José Luis Molina
- McCarty, Christopher, 1958-
- New York : The Guilford Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 270 pages, 4 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (some color) ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Lubbers, Miranda J.
Molina, José Luís (Ethnologist)
- Methodology in the social sciences
- Introduction -- How Personal Networks Have Been Used So Far -- Developing a Research Question -- Getting Started: Selecting a Population, Survey Mode, and Sampling Frames -- Questions about the Ego -- Delineating Personal Networks: Alter Elicitation -- Collecting Alter Attributes -- Collecting Data about Ties between Alters -- Visualizing Personal Networks -- Measuring Personal Network Characteristics without Generating Names -- Analyzing Personal Network Composition and Structure -- Statistical Modeling with Personal Network Data: The Level of Egos -- Statistical Modeling with Personal Network Data: The Level of Alters and Ties -- Ethics in Personal Network Research.
- Written at an introductory level, and featuring engaging case examples, this book reviews the theory and practice of personal and egocentric network research. This approach offers powerful tools for capturing the impact of overlapping, changing social relationships and contexts on individuals' attitudes and behavior. The authors provide solid guidance on the formulation of research questions; research design; data collection, including decisions about survey modes and sampling frames; the measurement of network composition and structure, including the use of name generators; and statistical modeling, from basic regression techniques to more advanced multilevel and dynamic models. Ethical issues in personal network research are addressed. User-friendly features include boxes on major published studies, end-of-chapter suggestions for further reading, and an appendix describing the main software programs used in the field.
- 146253838X paperback
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 235-250) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 28914352