Deviant bodies [electronic resource] : critical perspectives on difference in science and popular culture / edited by Jennifer Terry and Jacqueline Urla
- Race, gender, and science
- Introduction: Mapping embodied deviance / Jacqueline Urla and Jennifer Terry -- Gender, race, and nation: the comparative anatomy of "Hottentot" women in Europe, 1815-1817 / Anne Fausto-Sterling -- Framed: the deaf in the Harem / Nicholas Mirzoeff -- Colonizing and transforming the criminal tribesman: the Salvation Army in British India / Rachel J. Tolen -- This norm which is not one: reading the female body in Lombroso's anthropology / David G. Horn -- Anxious slippages between "us" and "them": a brief history of the scientific search for homosexual bodies / Jennifer Terry -- The Destruction of "Lives not worth living" / Robert N. Proctor -- Domesticity in the Federal Indian schools: the power of authority over mind and body / K. Tsianina Lomawaima -- Nymphomania: the historical construction of female sexuality / Carol Groneman -- Theatres of madness / Susan Jahoda -- The Anthropometry of Barbie: unsettling ideals of the feminine body in popular culture / Jacqueline Urla and Alan C. Swedlund -- Regulated passions: the invention of inhibited sexual desire and sexual addiction / Janice M. Irvine -- Between innocence and safety: epidemiologic and popular constructions of young people's need for safe sex / Cindy Patton -- The Hen that can't lay an egg (Bu xia dan de mu ji): conceptions of female infertility in modern China / Lisa Handwerker -- The Media-ted gene: sotries of gender and race / Dorothy Nelking and M. Susan Lindee.
- 0585032505 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boulder, Colo. : NetLibrary, 1999. Available via the World Wide Web. Available in multiple electronic file formats. Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- Funding Information:
- This netLibrary electronic book is provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project, a statewide library union catalog funded by the Pennsylvania Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Bureau of Library Development.
View MARC record | catkey: 2891780