Material encounters and indigenous transformations in the early colonial Americas [electronic resource] : archaeological case studies / edited by Corinne L. Hofman, Floris W.M. Keehnen
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 399 pages ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Hofman, Corinne Lisette, 1959- and Keehnen, Floris W. M.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Material encounters and indigenous transformations in the early colonial Americas / Floris W.M. Keehnen, Corinne L. Hofman and Andrzej T. Antczak -- Colonial encounters in Lucayan contexts / Mary Jane Berman and Perry L. Gnivecki -- Treating 'trifles': the indigenous adoption of European material goods in early colonial Hispaniola (1492-1550) / Floris W.M. Keehnen -- Contact and colonial impact in Jamaica: comparative material culture and diet at Sevilla la Nueva and the Taino village of Maima / Shea Henry and Robyn Woodward -- European material culture in indigenous sites in northeastern Cuba / Roberto Valcarcel Rojas -- Breaking and making identities: transformations of ceramic repertoires in early colonial Hispaniola / Marlieke Ernst and Corinne L. Hofman -- Rancherias: historical archaeology of early colonial campsites on Margarita and Coche Islands, Venezuela / Andrzej T. Antczak, Ma. Magdalena Antczak and Oliver Antczak -- Santa Maria de la Antigua del Darien: the aftermath of colonial settlement / Alberto Sarcina -- Material encounters and indigenous transformations in early colonial El Salvador / William R. Fowler and Jeb J. Card -- Hybrid cultures: the visibility of the European invasion of Caribbean Honduras in the sixteenth century / Russell N. Sheptak and Rosemary A. Joyce -- Exotics for the lords and gods: Lowland Maya consumption of European goods along a Spanish colonial frontier / Jaime J. Awe and Christophe Helmke -- Resignification as fourth narrative: power and the colonial religious experience in Tula, Hidalgo / Shannon Dugan Iverson -- Indigenous pottery technology of Central Mexico during early colonial times / Gilda Hernandez Sanchez -- War and peace in the sixteenth-century Southwest: objected-oriented approaches to native-European encounters and trajectories / Clay Mathers -- 'Beyond the falls': Amerindian stance towards new encounters along the wild coast (AD 1595-1627) / Martijn M. Bel van den and Gerard Collomb -- Colonial encounters in the Southern Lesser Antilles: indigenous resistance, material transformations, and diversity in an ever-globalizing world / Corinne L. Hofman, Menno L.P. Hoogland, Arie Boomert and John Angus Martin -- Epilogue: situating colonial interaction and materials: scale, context, theory / Maxine Oland.
- "Material Encounters and Indigenous Transformations in the Early Colonial Americas brings together 15 case studies focusing on the early colonial history and archaeology of indigenous cultural persistence and change in the Caribbean and its surrounding mainland(s) after AD 1492. With a special emphasis on material culture and by foregrounding indigenous agency in shaping the diverse outcomes of colonial encounters, this volume offers new perspectives on early modern cultural interactions in the first regions of the 'New World' that were impacted by European colonization. The volume contributors specifically investigate how foreign goods were differentially employed, adopted, and valued across time, space, and scale, and what implications such material encounters had for indigenous social, political, and economic structures Contributors are: Andrzej T. Antczak, Ma. M. Antczak, Oliver Antczak, Jaime J. Awe, Martijn van den Bel, Mary Jane Berman, Arie Boomert, Jeb J. Card, Charles R. Cobb, Gérard Collomb, Shannon Dugan Iverson, Marlieke Ernst, William R. Fowler, Perry L. Gnivecki, Christophe Helmke, Shea Henry, Gilda Hernández Sánchez, Corinne L. Hofman, Menno L.P. Hoogland, Rosemary A. Joyce, Floris W.M. Keehnen, J. Angus Martin, Clay Mathers, Maxine Oland, Alberto Sarcina, Russell N. Sheptak, Roberto Valcárcel Rojas, Robyn Woodward"--
- 9789004392458 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28920603