Also human : the inner lives of doctors / Caroline Elton
- Elton, Caroline (Vocational psychologist)
- New York : Basic Books, 2018.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 311 pages ; 25 cm
- Introduction: Medicine in the mirror -- Wednesday's child -- Finding the middle -- Which doctor -- Brief encounter -- Role reversal -- Leaky pipes -- Risky business -- No exit -- Natural selection -- Epilogue: There's no such thing as a doctor.
- Entering a doctor's office can be terrifying, sometimes for the doctor most of all. Vocational psychologist Caroline Elton introduces doctors who face psychological challenges that threaten to destroy their careers and lives, including an obstetrician grappling with his own homosexuality, a high-achieving junior doctor who walks out of her first job within weeks of starting, and an oncology resident who faints when confronted with cancer patients. By examining the inner lives of these professionals, Also Human offers readers insight into, and empathy for, the very real struggles of those who hold power over life and death.
- 9780465093731 (hardcover)
9780465093755 (electronic book)
0465093752 (electronic book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28925605