The returning hero : nostoi and traditions of Mediterranean settlement / Simon Hornblower and Giulia Biffis
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white), maps (black and white)
- Additional Creators:
- Hornblower, Simon and Biffis, Giulia
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction / Simon Hornblower -- 2.The nostoi and Archaic Greek Ethnicity / Robert L. Fowler -- 3.Odysseus' Eclectic Itinerary / Stephanie West -- 4.Returning Heroes and Greek Colonists / Irad Malkin -- 5.Nostoi as Heroic Foundations in Southern Italy: The Traditions about Epeios and Philoktetes / Guglielmo Genovese -- 6.Women and nostoi / Tanja S. Scheer -- 7.Nostos, a Journey towards Identity in Athenian Tragedy / Giulia Biffis -- 8.Emotional Returns / N.J. Lowe -- 9.Macedonians and nostoi / Robin Lane Fox -- 10.Nostoi and Material Culture in the Area of the Classical-Hellenistic Ionian and Adriatic Seas / Catherine Morgan -- 11.Failed nostoi and Foundations: Kalchas at Kolophon / Naoise Mac Sweeney -- 12.Mediterranean Perspectives on Departure, Displacement, and Home / Nicholas Purcell.
- A recurring and significant theme in ancient Greek literature is that of returns and returning, marked by the Greek word nostos. This volume offers an interdisciplinary exploration of nostos in ancient Greek culture, shedding light on perceptions of home and displacement, and on the foundation myths that shaped ancient Greek identity.
- 9780191848421 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2018.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927576