Myths on the map : the storied landscapes of Ancient Greece / Greta Hawes
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white), maps (black and white)
- Additional Creators:
- Hawes, Greta
- Oxford scholarship online: ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Walking through History: Unlocking the Mythical Past / Katherine Clarke -- 2.Cities-Before-Cities: `Prefoundational' Myth and the Construction of Greek Civic Space / Daniel W. Berman -- 3.Landscapes of the Cyclopes / Richard Buxton -- 4.Mapping the Hellespont with Leander and Hero: `The Swimming Lover and the Nightly Bride' / Elizabeth Minchin -- 5.Centaurs and Lapiths in the Landscape of Thessaly / Emma Aston -- 6.Meddling with Myth in Thebes: A New Vase from the Ismenion Hill (Thebes Museum 49276) / Stephanie Larson -- 7.Callimachus and the Poetics of the Diaspora / Jeremy McInerney -- 8.Pausanias' Arcadia between Conservatism and Innovation / Julie Baleriaux -- 9.Rivers Run Through It: Environmental History in Two Heroic Riverine Battles / Christina A. Salowey -- 10.Fountains as Reservoirs of Myth and Memory / Betsey A. Robinson -- 11.Scandalous Maps in Aeschylean Tragedy / Aara Suksi -- 12.Imaginary Islands in the Hellenistic Era: Utopia on the Geographical Map / Iris Sulimani -- 13.Imaginary Itineraries in the Beyond / Robert L. Fowler -- 14.Islands of Knowledge: Space and Names in Imperial Mythography / Charles Delattre -- 15.Serpents in the Soul: The `Libyan Myth' of Dio Chrysostom / Richard Hunter.
- 'Myths on the Map' brings together contributions from leading scholars of Greek myth, literature, history, and archaeology to explore the intricate ways in which myth interacted with the physical and conceptual landscapes of antiquity. It highlights in particular the plurality and pervasiveness of such interactions.
- 9780191805936 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927646