Selfhood and the soul : essays on ancient thought and literature in honour of Christopher Gill / Richard Seaford, John Wilkins, and Matthew Wright
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Additional Creators:
- Seaford, Richard, Wilkins, John, 1954-, Wright, Matthew, and Gill, Christopher, 1946-
- Machine generated contents note: 1.The Psuche from Homer to Plato: A Historical Sketch / Richard Seaford -- 2.Imagining Good Future States: Hope and Truth in Plato's Philebus / Katja Maria Vogt -- 3.Freedom and Will: Graeco-Roman Origins / Richard Sorabji -- 4.Survival and the Self: Materialism and Metempsychosis---Ancient Attitudes, Modern Perspectives / R.J. Hankinson -- 5.Epicurean versus Cyrenaic Happiness / David Sedley -- 6.Cicero on Imperialism and the Soul / Malcolm Schofield -- 7.Maximus of Tyre on God and Providence / Gretchen Reydams-Schils -- 8.The Indeterminate Self and its Cultivation in Plotinus / Nicholas Banner -- 9.The Essence of Rage: Galen on Emotional Disturbances and their Physical Correlates / P.N. Singer -- 10.Music and the Soul in Stoicism / Paul Scade -- 11.A Lover's Discourse: Eros in Greek Tragedy / Matthew Wright -- 12.The Self and the Underworld / Emma Gee -- 13.Philosophy, Physicians, and Persianic Satire / Shadi Bartsch.
- 'Selfhood and the Soul' is a collection of original essays in honour of Christopher Gill, Emeritus Professor of Ancient Thought at the University of Exeter. The contributions cover a wide range of approaches and topics, but all are committed to examining central issues about the experience of being a person and the question of how best to live.
- 9780191823015 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927673