Debating the saints' cult in the age of Gregory the Great [electronic resource] / [edited by] Matthew Dal Santo
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Dal Santo, Matthew
- Oxford studies in Byzantium
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Gregory the Great and Eustratius of Constantinople: The Dialogues on the Miracles of the Italian Fathers as an apology for the cult of the saints -- 2.The fourth dialogue of Pope Gregory the Great: The early Byzantine context of a Latin disquisition on the soul -- 3.Contesting the saints' miracles: The witness of early Byzantine Lives and miracle collections -- 4.The saints' inactivity post mortem: Soul sleep and the cult of saints east of the Euphrates.
- Dal Santo argues that Pope Gregory the Great's 'Dialogues', which debated the nature and plausibility of the saints' miracles and the propriety of the saints' cult, should be considered from the perspective of a wide-ranging debate which took place in early Byzantine society.
- 9780199949939 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927705