Saints and spectacle : Byzantine mosaics in their cultural setting / Carolyn L. Connor
- Connor, Carolyn L. (Carolyn Loessel)
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white, and colour).
- Machine generated contents note: ch. 1 Middle Byzantine Mosaics: Appearance and Character -- ch. 2 The Lost Mosaics of Constantinople and the Middle Byzantine Program of Church Decoration -- ch. 3 Urban Culture of the Ninth and Tenth Centuries -- ch. 4 Feasting the Saints: the Sanctoral Topography of Constantinople -- ch. 5 Mosaics as A Ritual Art: Byzantine Mosaics at Work.
- The awe-inspiring mosaics covering the walls, vaults, and domes of Byzantine churches of the medieval period still remain a mystery to modern viewers. Saints and Spectacle ventures into the world of ninth- and tenth-century Constantinople, the capital of the Byzantine Empire, to recapture the spirit of Byzantine thought and expression after Iconoclasm. Texts, artworks, and the archaeological record aid in reconstructing the visual and literary context of the age of the first rulers of the Macedonian Dynasty.
- 9780190457648 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927962