Triangular landscapes : environment, society, and the state in the Nile Delta under Roman rule / Katherine Blouin
- Blouin, Katherine
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white), maps (black and white).
- Oxford studies on the Roman economy
- Machine generated contents note: I.The Mendesian Nome in Context -- 1.Hydrological Context -- 2.Evidence -- 3.The Pre-Roman Mendesian Nome -- II.The Mendesian Landscape under Roman Rule -- 4.Topography and Administrative Geography -- 5.Land Categories -- III.`Le beau risque': Society, the State, and the Land -- 6.How Many Baskets for One's Eggs? Agricultural Diversification and Fiscality -- 7.In the Heart of the Fringe: The Socio-economics of Marginal Land -- IV.Autopsy of a Region in Crisis -- 8.`Ruined, they took flight': Mendesian Anachoresis -- 9.The Boukoloi Uprising.
- Using papyri and other sources documenting the Mendesian Nome, a district of the North-Eastern Nile Delta, this volume investigates the complex networks of relationships between Mendesian environments, socio-economic dynamics, and agro-fiscal policies in the Roman period.
- 9780191767876 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28927990