The embodied icon [electronic resource] : liturgical vestments and sacramental power in Byzantium / Warren T. Woodfin
- Woodfin, Warren T. (Warren Theriot), 1974-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxxv, 339 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates) : illustrations (some color).
- Oxford studies in Byzantium
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I LITURGICAL VESTMENTS IN THE ORTHODOX CHURCH -- 1.The Vestments of the Byzantine Rite Described -- 2.Moving Pictures: Embroidered Vestments and the Iconography of the Church Interior -- 3.Liturgical Mystagogy and the Embroidered Image -- pt. II LITURGICAL VESTMENTS IN BYZANTINE SOCIETY -- 4.Earthly Rivalry: Imperial and Ecclesiastical dress -- 5.As it is in Heaven: Vesture and the Unseen World.
- In spite of the Orthodox liturgy's reputation for resistance to change, Byzantine liturgical dress underwent a period of extraordinary elaboration from the end of the eleventh century onwards. As part of this development, embroideries depicting holy figures and scenes began to appear on the vestments of the clergy. Examining the surviving Byzantine vestments in conjunction with contemporary visual and textual evidence, this book relates their embroidered imagery both to the programme of images used in churches, and to the hierarchical code of dress prevailing in the imperial court.
- 9780191808302 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28928029