Achieving development success [electronic resource] : strategies and lessons from the developing world / edited by Augustin K. Fosu
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi
World Institute for Development Economics Research
- WIDER studies in development economics
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Achieving Development Success: Synthesis of Strategies and Lessons from the Developing World / Augustin K. Fosu -- pt. I East Asia and the Pacific (South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam) -- 2.How Can Korea be a Role Model for Catch-Up Development? A `Capability-Based View' / Keun Lee -- 3.Lessons-from Post-Colonial Malaysian Economic Development / Wee Chong Hui -- 4.Thailand's Development Strategy and Growth Performance / Peter Warr -- 5.Vietnam as a Role Model for Development / John Thoburn -- 6.Development Strategies: Lessons from the Experiences of South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam / Haider A. Khan -- pt. II The Emerging Asian Giants (India and China) -- 7.Democracy, Diversity, and Development: India's Strategy and Outcomes / Nirvikar Singh -- 8.The Disinterested Government: An Interpretation of China's Economic Success in the Reform Era / Yang Yao -- 9.Country Role Models of Development Success: Lessons from China and India / Amelia U. Santos-Paulino -- pt. III Sub-Saharan Africa (Botswana, Mauritius, South Africa, and Ghana) -- 10.Botswana as a Role Model for Country Success / James A. Robinson -- 11.The Mauritian Success Story and its Lessons / Arvind Subramanian -- 12.Post-Apartheid South Africa: An Economic Success Story? / Lennart Petersson -- 13.Country Role Models for Development Success: The Ghana Case / Augustin K. Fosu -- 14.Development Progress in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons from Botswana, Ghana, Mauritius, and South Africa / Wim Naude -- pt. IV Latin America and the Caribbean (Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic) -- 15.Brazil's Growth Performance: Achievements and Prospects / Luiz de Mello -- 16.Three Decades of Neoliberal Economics in Chile: Achievements, Failures, and Dilemmas / Andres Solimano -- 17.Country Role Models for Development Success: The Case of Costa Rica / Alberto Trejos -- 18.Economic Development Strategies in the Dominican Republic / Amelia U. Santos-Paulino -- 19.Between Past and Future of Latin America: Lessons from Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic / Eliana Cardoso -- pt. V Middle-East and North Africa (Oman/Bahrain, Tunisia, and the United Arab Emirates) -- 20.The Omani and Bahraini Paths to Development: Rare and Contrasting Oil-Based Economic Success Stories / Robert E. Looney -- 21.Tunisia's Development Experience: A Success Story? / Mina Baliamoune-Lutz -- 22.The United Arab Emirates: Some Lessons in Economic Development / Yaw Nyarko -- 23.`Successful' Development Models: Lessons from the MENA Region / Imed Drine.
- This volume presents a global sample of country cases of successful development strategies, and seeks to delineate the root causes of success: initial conditions, local and international factors, relative contributions by domestic and external agents, as well as the prognosis of challenges for the future.
- 9780191751059 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28928647