If the walls could speak : inside a women's prison in communist Poland / Anna Müller
- Müller, Anna, 1975-
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.War and the Penitentiary System -- 2.On the Threshold: Arrest and Interrogation -- 3.Learning One's Cell, Learning Oneself -- 4.Prison Relationships: On Love, Trust, and Hostilities in a Prison Cell -- 5.Boredom and Emptiness, or the Flow of Life in Confinement.
- This work focuses on the lives of women in prison in postwar communist Poland and how they took on different roles and personalities to protect themselves and create a semblance of normality, despite abuses and prison confinement. The author reveals how life in a Stalinist prison adds to our understanding of coercion and resistance under totalitarian regimes.
- 9780190499891 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28929228