Small dictionaries and curiosity : lexicography and fieldwork in post-medieval europe / John Considine
- Considine, John (John P.)
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Oxford scholarship online: ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction -- pt. I Curiosity -- 2.Western lexicographers in the lands of the Mongols -- 3.Curiosity and lexicography from Petrarch to Leibniz -- 4.The history of lexicography and the history of curiosity -- pt. II The long sixteenth century -- 5.The first curiosity-driven wordlists: Rotwelsch -- 6.The broadening tradition: Wordlists of other cryptolects -- 7.The curiosity-driven lexicography of a whole language: Romani -- 8.Weakly codified languages and lexicography in the sixteenth century -- 9.Curiosity-driven lexicography in the sixteenth century -- pt. III The long seventeenth century -- 10.Languages and regional varieties -- 11.Natural history and lexicography: John Ray and his friends -- 12.Ray's Collection of English Words -- 13.Ray's German contemporaries and successors -- 14.Edward Lhuyd: The making of a lexicographer -- 15.Edward Lhuyd, travelling lexicographer -- 16.Edward Lhuyd's Glossography -- pt. IV The long eighteenth century -- 17.Polyglot collections from Gessner to Leibniz -- 18.Witsen, Leibniz, and the turn to Inner Eurasia -- 19.Strahlenberg and the lexicography of Inner Eurasia -- 20.Early wordlists of Scandinavian regionalisms -- 21.Early wordlists of Finnish and Sami -- 22.Johan Ihre and Swedish lexicography -- 23.Dying languages -- 24.Old Prussian and Polabian -- 25.Cornish and Manx -- pt. V Into the nineteenth century -- 26.Dictionaries of Scottish Gaelic in the century of Ossian -- 27.Bardic dictionaries: Faroese, Serbian, and Breton -- 28.Lexicography and national epic in Finland.
- This work tells the story of the first European wordlists of minority and unofficial languages and dialects, from the end of the Middle Ages to the early nineteenth century. It explores not just the languages and the wordlists themselves, but also the lives of those who created them and their motivations.
- 9780191827211 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28932857