American obscurantism : history and the visual in U.S. literature and film / Peter Lurie
- Lurie, Peter, 1965-
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white, and colour)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Seeing in the Dark Houses: History and Obscurity in Light in August and Absalom, Absalom! -- 2."Orders from the House": American Historicism in The Shining -- 3.Fargo's Whitened Spaces: History, Race, and the Postmodern Sublime -- 4.Queer Historiography in The Bridge.
- 'American Obscurantism' argues for a salutary indirection in US culture. Critiquing the impulse to see history in seminal works like Griffith's 'Birth of a Nation' and the residual positivism of New Historicist methodology, the text challenges this shared visual epistemology. It traces meaningful exceptions to this pattern across canonical figures from US literature and film.
- 9780190225735 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Previously issued in print: 2018.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28933063