Milton in translation / Angelica Duran, Islam Issa, and Jonathan R. Olson
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Additional Creators:
- Duran, Angelica, Issa, Islam, and Olson, Jonathan R.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I APPROACHES -- 1.Introduction: From `Cambalu' to `El Dorado' / Islam Issa -- 2.Milton's Global Reach / Thomas N. Corns -- 3.Lost and Regained in Translation: The Sound of Paradise Lost / Beverley Sherry -- pt. II INFLUENTIAL TRANSLATIONS -- 4.`Levelling the Sublime': Translating Paradise Lost into English in the Eighteenth Century / Aaron Shapiro -- 5.`Translated Verse': Milton's Latin Poetry in the Long Eighteenth Century / Estelle Haan -- 6.`Latinizing' Milton: Paradise Lost, Latinitas, and the Long Eighteenth Century / Estelle Haan -- 7.Domesticating and Foreignizing the Sublime: Paradise Lost in German / Curtis Whitaker -- 8.`The French Connection' among French Translations of Milton and within Du Bocage's Paradis terrestre / Christophe Tournu -- pt. III WEST EUROPEAN AND LATIN AMERICAN TRANSLATIONS -- 9.Paradise Lost in Dutch, 1728--2003: Form, Politics, Religion / Jan Frans van Dijkhuizen -- 10.A Vision in Times of Need: Milton in Estonia / Anne Lange -- 11.Traces of the Birth of the State of Finland in Jylha's Translation of Paradise Lost / David Robertson -- 12.Iceland's Milton: On Jon Porlaksson's Translation of Paradise Lost / Astradur Eysteinsson -- 13.`Censur'd to Be Much Inferiour': Paradise Lost and Regained in Italian / Daniele Borgogni -- 14.Milton in Portuguese: A Story in Blank Verse / Helio J. S. Alves -- 15.Paradise Lost in Spanish Translation and as World Literature / Angelica Duran -- 16.Either in Prose or Rhyme: Translating Milton in(to) Latin America / Mario Murgia -- pt. IV CENTRAL AND EAST EUROPEAN TRANSLATIONS -- 17.The Quest for the Right Accent: Milton in Bulgarian Translation / Alexander Shurbanov -- 18.Jungmann's Translation of Paradise Lost in the Vanguard of Modern Czech Culture / Sarka Tobrmanova -- 19.In `Milton's Prison': Milton in Hungarian Translation / Miklos Peti -- 20.Translation as Resistance: Three Centuries of Paradise Lost in Polish / Joanna Rzepa -- 21.Milton in Serbian/Montenegrin: Paradise Lost from behind Bars / Marjan Strojan -- 22.Milton in Illyria / Marjan Strojan -- pt. V MIDDLE EASTERN TRANSLATIONS -- 23.Paradise Lost in Arabic: Images, Style, and Technique / Islam Issa -- 24.Pre-Eminent among Gentiles: Milton's Major Poetry in Hebrew Translation / Noam Reisner -- 25.Plotting a Persian Paradise: Milton's Iranian Afterlives / Jeffrey Einboden -- pt. VI EAST ASIAN TRANSLATIONS -- 26.Milton in China `Yet Once More' / Bing Van -- 27.Translating Milton's Poetry into Japanese with a Case Study of Samson Agonistes / Hiroko Sano -- 28.The 1960s and Paradise Lost in Korean / Angelica Duran.
- 'Milton in Translation' demonstrates the breadth of John Milton's international reception, from the 17th century through today. New essays by an international roster of experts explore the translation of Milton's works into 23 languages, in essays that are grouped geographically and, by and large, chronologically.
- 9780191819841 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28933171