Real deceptions : the contemporary reinvention of realism / Jennifer Friedlander
- Friedlander, Jennifer
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Machine generated contents note: 1.The Realistically Deceptive, or the Deceptively Real? Ron Mueck and the Internal Illusion -- 2.Documentary Real-ism: Catfish and This Is Not a Film -- 3.An Uncertain Indeterminacy: Aliza Shvarts's Unseen Senior Project -- 4.A Ruse for the Real: Christoph Schlingensief's Deportation Installation -- 5.The Faux and the Schmo: Parodying Reality TV -- 6.Corporeal Realism: Bodyworlds and Cloaca -- 7."Something I Can't Quite Articulate": Breastfeeding and the Real -- 8.Melancholia and the Real of the Illusion -- Conclusion: On Being Duped.
- 'Real Deceptions' develops a new theory of realism through close consideration of myriad contemporary art, media, and cultural practices. Rather than focusing on transgressing deceptions which distort reality, it argues that reality lies within the deceptions themselves.
- 9780190676162 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28933174