Women and girls in the Hindi public sphere [electronic resource] : periodical literature in colonial North India / Shobna Nijhawan
- Nijhawan, Shobna
- New Delhi ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxii, 358 pages) : illustrations, portraits
- Machine generated contents note: pt. One Women's And Girls' Periodicals -- 1.The Periodical as a Genre -- An Introduction The Participatory Framework of Hindi Women's and Girls' Periodicals -- Middle-class Women in Nationalist Narratives -- Gender, Tradition, and the Politics of Nationalism -- Print Capitalism and the Participation of Women in the Hindi Public Sphere -- Gandhian Politics and the Nationalization of Women's and Girls' Periodicals -- 2.Women's Periodicals -- Stri Darpan, Women's Mirror (1909-28) -- Grihalakshmi, Lakshmi of the Home (1909-29) -- Arya Mahila, Arya Woman (1917-1940s) -- `Mahila Manoranjan', Woman's Entertainment, in Madhuri, Sweetness (1922-50) -- Chand, Moon (1922-40s) -- 3.Girls' Periodicals -- Kumari Darpan, Maiden Mirror (1916-20s) -- Mapping Patriotism -- Kanya Manoranjan, Girls' Entertainment (1913-19??) -- Learning by Playing: The Moral Education of Girls -- Courageous Girls and Intelligent Women -- 4.Genre and Domesticity -- Toward Old, New, and Better Domesticity -- Grhalaksmi and Pativrata: Of Faithful and Devoted Women -- Susiksita-How Women Learn Domesticity -- Personal Fulfilment in the Absence of the Beloved: Suhag under Threat -- Home Rule for Women: A Nationalist Demand -- 5.Hindi and the Question of Comprehensibility -- Editorial Agendas and Language Politics -- Quotidian Hindi -- Sahitya Seva as National Service to Literature by Women -- From Regional to National Debates about Hindi -- 6.Conclusion -- pt. Two A Reader -- Editorials and Readers' Letters -- Editorial (Grihalakshmi, April/May 1913 [Vaisakh 1970]) -- Conversation with Girls (Kumari Darpan, May 1922) -- Editorial: Important Information (Stri Darpan, September 1917) -- Conjugal Love (Stri Darpan, August 1917) -- My Opinion on Matters Related to Stri-Dharma-Shikshak (Rajbahadur, Stri Darpan, November 1917) -- Essays, Speeches, and Advice Texts -- Chastity and Loyalty, the Prime Dharma of Women (Ambikaprasad Shukla, Grihalakshmi, September/October 1913 [Asvin 1970]) -- A Husband's Duty Towards his Wife (Vidyarthi Banvarilal Gupta, Grihalakshmi, August/September 1917 [Bhadrapad 1974]) -- Women and the Service of Literature (Pandit Satyabhakt, Arya Mahila, April/May/June/July 1918 [Vaisakh/Jyest/Asarh 1975]) -- The Atrocities of Men over Women (A Reader, Grihalakshmi, June/July 1917 [Asarh 1974]) -- Why Women Should Prepare the Food with their Own Hands (Satyavati Devi, Stri Darpan, April 1917) -- How Long will the Women's Community be Content to Serve as Shoes? (Hukma Devi, Grihalakshmi, October/November 1917 [Kartik 1974]) -- The Model Girl (Shrimati Kailash Rani Vatal, Stri Darpan, September 1917) -- Tasty Food-Laddus Made with Gram Flour (N.N., Vanita Vinod, November/December 1921 [Margsirs 1978]) -- Management of the Home (N.N., Vanita Vinod, November/December 1921 [Margsirs 1978]) -- The Impact of Women (Anadidhan Bandyopadhyay, Grihalakshmi, September/October 1913 [Asvin 1970]) -- (Auto)biographical Accounts, Fiction, and Poetry -- Kumari Mrinalini Chattopadhyay (Krishna Kumari, Madhuri, January 1923) -- A Chapter of my Life (Charushila Devi, trans. Girijakumar Ghosh, Stri Darpan, June 1920) -- A Thief in the House-A True Story (Anadidhan Bandyopadhyay, Kanya Manoranjan, November 1913) -- The Model Friend (Gulabdevi Chaturvedi, Stri Darpan, July 1918) -- Grandmother's Stories: The Selling of a Good Deed (Champalal Jauhari, Grihalakshmi, December/January 1914/1915 [Paus 1971]) -- Patni-vrata-Loyalty and Chastity Towards the Wife (Pandit Ishwari Prasad Sharmma, Maryada, April 1911) -- Svadeshi Sari (`A well-wisher of the country', Grihalakshmi, September/October 1913 [Asvin 1970]) -- A Plea to Women (Matadin Shukla, Stri Darpan, March 1917) -- You Want Home Rule? (Jyandevi, Stri Darpan, December 1918) -- Advertisements and Book Reviews -- Fragrant Pushpavilas Hair Oil (Grihalakshmi, December/January 1913/1914 [Paus 1970]) -- Complimentary Gifts on the Occasion of the New Year (Kanya Manoranjan, December 1913) -- Seeking (Grihalakshmi, April/May 1914 [Vaisakh 1971]) -- Lucrative Employment at Cawnpore Woollen Mills Co. Ltd. (Stri Darpan, March 1914) -- Review of Arya Mahila (Stri Darpan, October 1918) -- Review of Children's Lullabies (Stri Darpan, September 1918).
- An in-depth study of Hindi women's periodicals in early 20th century north India, this volume investigates debates around gender roles, the politicisation of women, and language politics as they were presented to a primarily female audience during a period of social reform and heightened nationalist activism.
- 9780199080922 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28933641