Novel craft [electronic resource] : Victorian domestic handicraft and nineteenth-century fiction / Talia Schaffer
- Schaffer, Talia, 1968-
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xii, 228 pages) : illustrations
- Machine generated contents note: ch. 1 Women's Work: The History of the Victorian Domestic Handicraft -- ch. 2 Ephemerality: The Cranford Papers -- ch. 3 Preservation: The Daisy and the Chain -- ch. 4 Salvage: Betty as the Mutual Friend -- ch. 5 Connoisseurship: Giving Credit to Phoebe Junior.
- Schaffer explores an intriguing and under-studied aspect of cultural life in Victorian England: domestic handicrafts, the decorative pursuit that predated the Arts and Crafts movement. The book argues that the handicraft movement served as a way to critique the modern mass-produced commodity and the rapidly emerging industrial capitalism of the 19th century. The argument is illustrated with the four pivotal novels that form this study's core - Elizabeth Gaskell's 'Cranford', Charlotte Mary Yonge's 'The Daisy Chain', Charles Dickens's 'Our Mutual Friend', and Margaret Oliphant's 'Phoebe Junior'.
- 9780190252816 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28934176