Thought and play in musical rhythm / Richard Wolf, Stephen Blum, and Christopher Hasty
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white).
- Additional Creators:
- Wolf, Richard K., 1962-, Blum, Stephen, 1942-, and Hasty, Christopher, 1947-
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Thinking With and About Rhythm / Christopher Hasty -- 2.Formative Processes of Durational Projection in "Free Rhythm" World Music / John Roeder -- 3.Meter and Rhythm in the Sung Poetry of Iranian Khorasan / Stephen Blum -- 4.An Approach to Musical Rhythm in Agbadza / David Locke -- 5.Rhythm and the Physical / Eugene Montague -- 6.Modern Drum Solos Over Ostinatos / Fernando Benadon -- 7.Temporal and Density Flow in Javanese Gamelan / Sumarsam -- 8.Layers and Elasticity in the Rhythm ofNoh Songs: "Taking Komi" and Its Social Background / Takanori Fujita -- 9.Rhythmic Metamorphoses: Botanical Process Models on the Atlas Mountains of Morocco / Miriam Rovsing Olsen -- 10.Mapping a Rhythmic Revolution Through Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Sources on Rhythm and Drumming in North India / James Kippen -- 11.Time Changes: Heterometric Music in South Asia / Richard Widdess -- 12."Rhythm," "Beat," and "Freedom" in South Asian Musical Traditions / Richard K. Wolf -- 13.New Music---New Rhythm / Christopher Hasty.
- Through the analysis and comparison of diverse repertoires, performance practices, and theories, 'Thought and Play in Musical Rhythm' responds to the critical need for developing richer ways of describing rhythm in all its complexity. Focusing on tensions between the general and the culturally specific, the book considers musics from Africa and Asia, as well as jazz, popular music, and 'new music' of the late 20th century.
- 9780190841522 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Due to be issued in print: 2020.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28934802