When Broadway went to Hollywood / Ethan Mordden
- Mordden, Ethan, 1947-
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Machine generated contents note: 1.The First Hollywood Musicals -- 2.De Sylva, Brown, and Henderson -- 3.Irving Berlin -- 4.George and Ira Gershwin -- 5.Rodgers and Hart -- 6.Jerome Kern -- 7.Cole Porter -- 8.Operetta -- 9.Johnny Mercer, Frank Loesser, and Harold Arlen -- 10.Direct From Broadway -- 11.Rodgers and Hammerstein and Lerner and Loewe -- 12.The Last Hollywood Musicals.
- From the earliest talkies to the present, Hollywood has drafted the great Broadway songwriters to create successful musicals, while mistrusting and even abusing them. Here's the book that chronicles what happens when stage geniuses come up against the anti-intellectual producers of Hollywood.
- 9780199395439 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28934929