Empathy and morality / Heidi L. Maibom
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Maibom, Heidi Lene, 1969-
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: (Almost) Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Empathy / Heidi L. Maibom -- 2.Empathy-Induced Altruism and Morality: No Necessary Connection / C. Daniel Batson -- 3.Empathy and Morality: A Developmental Psychology Perspective / Nancy Eisenberg -- 4.Empathy, Justice, and Social Change / Martin L. Hoffman -- 5.Empathy, Emotion Regulation, and Moral Judgment / Antti Kauppinen -- 6.At the Empathetic Center of Our Moral Lives / George Graham -- 7.Empathy and Moral Deficits in Psychopathy / Abigail A. Marsh -- 8.Are Empathy and Morality Linked?: Insights from Moral Psychology, Social and Decision Neuroscience, and Philosophy / Claus Lamm -- 9.On Empathy: A Perspective from Developmental Psychopathology / Jessica A. Hobson -- 10.Empathy in Other Apes / Lori Gruen -- 11.Psychological Altruism, Empathy, and Offender Rehabilitation / Russil Durrant -- 12.Empathy and Morality in Ethnographic Perspective / Douglas Hollan.
- Empathy's centrality to morality is heavily debated. Many religious and philosophical traditions have favoured empathy, sympathy, or compassion as key to moral thought, conduct, or motivation. This collection brings together original papers in philosophy, psychology, psychiatry, anthropology, and neuroscience to give a comprehensive overview of the issue, and includes an extensive survey of empathy and empathy-related emotions. It is distinctive in focusing on the moral import of empathy and sympathy.
- 9780199372843 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28937098