Everywhere and everywhen [electronic resource] : adventures in physics and philosophy / Nick Huggett
- Huggett, Nick
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 217 pages) : illustrations
- Machine generated contents note: 1.A Longish Introduction: The Problem of Change -- 2.Zeno's Paradoxes -- 3.Zeno's Arrow Paradox -- 4.The Shape of Space I: Topology -- 5.Beyond the Third Dimension? -- 6.Why Three Dimensions? -- 7.The Shape of Space II: Curved Space? -- 8.Looking for Geometry -- 9.What Is Space? -- 10.Time -- 11.Time and Tralfamadore -- 12.Time Travel -- 13.Why Can't I Stop My Younger Self from Time Traveling? -- 14.Spacetime and the Theory of Relativity -- 15.Time in Relativity -- 16.Hands and Mirrors -- 17.Identity -- 18.Quarticles -- 19.Where Next?.
- Why does time pass and space does not? Are there just three dimensions? What is a quantum particle? Nick Huggett shows that philosophy has much to say about these profound questions about the universe. In this book, Huggett charts a journey that peers into some of the oldest questions about the world, through some of the newest.
- 9780199776559 (ebook) and 0199776555 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28937143