Necessity and nature in Spinoza's philosophy / Don Garrett
- Garrett, Don
- Uniform Title:
- Essays. Selections
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Machine generated contents note: Overview -- 1.Spinoza's Ethics: The Metaphysics of Blessedness (2003) -- SECTION I Necessity and God's Nature -- 2.Spinoza's "Ontological" Argument (1979) -- Postscript: Arguments for God's Existence Revisited -- 3.Ethics Ip5: Shared Attributes and the Basis of Spinoza's Monism (1990) -- Postscript: Shared Attributes and Monism Revisited -- 4.Spinoza's Necessitarianism (1991) -- Postscript: Necessitarianism Revisited -- SECTION II Necessity, Truth, and Knowledge -- 5.Truth and Ideas of Imagination in the Tractatus de Intellectus Emendatione (1986) -- 6.Truth, Method, and Correspondence in Spinoza and Leibniz (1990) -- 7.Spinoza's Theory of Scientia Intuitiva (2009) -- SECTION III Nature as Necessarily Extended and Thinking -- 8.Descartes, Spinoza, and Locke on Extended Thinking Beings (2009) -- 9.Spinoza on the Essence of the Human Body and the Part of the Mind That Is Eternal (2009) -- 10.The Indiscernibility of Identicals and the Transitivity of Identity in Spinoza's Logic of the Attributes (2017) -- SECTION IV Teleology and Necessarily Striving Natures -- 11.Spinoza's Theory of Metaphysical Individuation (1994) -- 12.Teleology in Spinoza and Early Modern Rationalism (1999) -- 13.Spinoza's Conatus Argument (2002) -- SECTION V Naturalistic Representation and Consciousness -- 14.Representation and Consciousness in Spinoza's Naturalistic Theory of the Imagination (2008) -- Postscript: Consciousness Revisited -- 15.Representation, Misrepresentation, and Error in Spinoza's Philosophy of Mind (2013) -- SECTION VI Naturalistic Ethics -- 16."A Free Man Always Acts Honestly, Not Deceptively": Freedom and the Good in Spinoza's Ethics (1990) -- 17.Spinoza's Ethical Theory (1996) -- 18."Promising" Ideas: Hobbes and Contract in Spinoza's Political Philosophy (2010).
- Spinoza's guiding commitment to the thesis that nothing exists or occurs outside of the scope of nature and its necessary laws makes him one of the great seventeenth-century exemplars of both philosophical naturalism and explanatory rationalism. This work brings together for the first time eighteen articles by Don Garrett on Spinoza's philosophy, ranging over the fields of metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of mind, ethics, and political philosophy.
- 9780190880019 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Previously issued in print: 2018.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28937865