The state of the European Union [electronic resource] : risks, reforms, renewals, and revival / edited by Maria Green Cowles and Michael Smith
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 472 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Cowles, Maria Green, 1961- and Smith, Michael, 1947 April 10-
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Risks, Reform, Resistance, and Revival / Maria Green Cowles / Michael Smith -- 2.The European Union after the 1990s: Explaining Continuity and Change / John Peterson / Elizabeth Bomberg -- 3.The European Union after Amsterdam: Towards a Theoretical Approach to (Differentiated) Integration / Sieglinde Gstohl -- 4.The Paradox of the 'European Polity' / Antje Wiener / Jo Shaw -- 5.Monetary Integration in Europe: Ideas and Evolution / Amy Verdun -- 6.The Battle between ECOFIN-11 and the European Central Bank: A Strategic Interaction Perspective / Miriam Campanella -- 7.European Monetary Union and the New Political Economy of Adjustment / Erik Jones -- 8.EU Enlargement: A Neglected Subject / Helen Wallace -- 9.Eastern Enlargement: Risk, Rationality, and Role-Compliance / Ulrich Sedelmeier -- 10.Enlargement: A Complex Juggling Act / Lykke Friis / Anna Murphy -- 11.The European Commission: Diminishing Returns to Entrepreneurship / Mitchell Smith -- 12.Democracy, Legitimacy, and the European Parliament / Roger Scully -- 13.Do You Hear What I Hear? Translation, Expansion, and Crisis in the European Court of Justice / Paul Fabian Mullen -- 14.Blairism in Brussels: The 'Third Way' in Europe since Amsterdam / Mark A. Pollack -- 15.On Being European: The Character and Consequences of European Identity / David Michael Green -- 16.EU Trade Policy: The 'Exclusive' versus Shared Competence Debate / Sophie Meunier / Kalypso Nicolaidis -- 17.Flexibility of Renationalization: Effects of Enlargement on EC Environmental Policy / Stefani Bar / Ingmar von Homeyer / Alexander Carius -- 18.How Defense 'Spelled Over' into the CFSP: Western European Union (WEU) and the European Security and Defense Identity (ESDI) / J. Bryan Collester -- 19.Resisting Reform or Risking Revival? Renegotiating the Lome Convention / Martin Holland.
- Risk covers the stakes attached to the European project. Reform is the attempt to reshape it in its pursuit of efficiency, effectiveness, and avoidance of the risk of non-reform. Resistance refers to the forces that oppose reform. Revival covers the breakthroughs caused by shifts in the balance between these three concepts.
- 9780191598982 (ebook) and 0191598984 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28938919