How Europeans view and evaluate democracy / Mónica Ferrín and Hanspeter Kriesi
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2016.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white).
- Additional Creators:
- Ferrín, Mónica, 1979- and Kriesi, Hanspeter
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: Democracy---the European Verdict / Hanspeter Kriesi -- 2.Constructing the Questionnaire: The Challenges of Measuring Attitudes toward Democracy across Europe / Rory Fitzgerald -- pt. I Views of Democracy in Europe -- 3.Europeans' Views of Democracy: The Core Elements of Democracy / Enrique Hernandez -- 4.The Structure of Europeans' Views of Democracy: Citizens' Models of Democracy / Paolo Moncagatta -- 5.How People Understand Democracy: A Social Dominance Approach / Pedro C. Magalhaes -- 6.Types of Liberal Democracy and Generational Shifts: How Citizens' Views of Democracy Differ Across Generational Cohorts / Pedro Riera -- 7.What Type of Democratic Commitment Lies Behind the Importance of Living in a Democracy? / Sonia Alonso -- pt. II Evaluations of European Democracies -- 8.Citizens' Evaluations of Democracy: A Microscope with Quality Seal / Irene Palacios -- 9.The Structure of the Evaluations of Democracy / Willem Saris -- 10.Explaining Citizens' Evaluations of Democracy / Alexander H. Trechsel -- pt. III Legitimacy of European Democracies -- 11.Democratic Legitimacy: Concepts, Measures, Outcomes / Bernhard Weßels -- 12.Determinants of Democratic Legitimacy: Liberal Democracy and Social Justice / Radoslaw Markowski -- 13.An Empirical Assessment of Satisfaction with Democracy / Monica Ferrin -- 14.Conclusion---What Have We Learnt, and Where Do We Go from Here? / Leonardo Morlino.
- This text answers two fundamental questions for European advanced democracies: how Europeans view democracy (or how democracy should be) and how Europeans evaluate democracy (or how European democracies work in practice).
- 9780191821141 (ebook)
- This edition previously issued in print: 2016.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28939587