Climate crisis and the democratic prospect : participatory governance in sustainable communities / Frank Fischer
- Fischer, Frank, 1942-
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Climate Change, Crisis and the Future of Democracy: Setting the Stage -- 1.Ecological Crisis and Climate Change: From States of Emergency to "Fortress World"? -- 2.Democracy at Risk: From Citizen Activism to Techno-Environmentalism -- 3.Technocratic Strategy as Central Steering: From Sustainable Development to Transition Management -- pt. II Democratic Prospects in the Face of Climate Crisis -- 4.Environmental Democracy and Ecological Citizenship: From Theoretical Ideals to Practical Alternatives? -- 5.The Green State as Environmental Democracy? Political Power, Globalization, and Post-Democracy -- pt. III Environmental Democracy as Participatory Governance -- 6.Participatory Environmental Governance: Civil Society, Citizen Engagement, and Participatory Policy Expertise -- 7.The Community Forest Movement in Nepal as Participatory Governance: Civil Society, Deliberative Politics, and Participatory Expertise -- 8.Practicing Participatory Environmental Governance: Ecovillages and the Global Ecovillage Movement -- pt. IV Making Theory Matter: From Resilience to Eco-Localism and Participatory Governance -- 9.Urban Sustainability, Eco-Cities, and Transition Towns: Resilience Planning as Apolitical Politics -- 10.Relocalization for Sustainable Communities: Participatory Ecological Practices and Theoretical Foundations -- 11.Sustaining Democracy in Hard Times: Participatory Theory for Local Environmental Governance.
- This work supports the case for environmental democracy, but argues that sustaining democratic practices will be difficult during the global climate turmoil ahead.
- 9780191842108 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- This edition previously issued in print: 2017.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28939765