Takeover : race, education, and American democracy / Domingo Morel
- Morel, Domingo
- New York, NY : Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Schools, State, and Political Power -- 2.A View from Two Cities: Newark, New Jersey, and Central Falls, Rhode Island -- 3.State Takeovers and Black and Latino Political Empowerment -- 4.Why Take Over? State Centralization and the Conservative Education Logic -- 5.The Implications of State Takeovers for Urban Politics: Cohesive and Disjointed State-Local Regimes -- 6.Takeovers and American Democracy.
- 'Takeover' offers the first systematic study of state takeovers of school districts. Domingo Morel examines the factors that contribute to state takeovers as well as the effects and political implications of takeovers on racialized communities, the communities most often affected by them. Although states have generally justified state takeovers based on poor academic performance, questions of race and political power play a critical role in the emergence of state takeovers of local school districts.
- 9780190679019 (ebook)
- Audience Notes:
- Previously issued in print: 2018.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 28939823